Delaware Medical Marijuana Program
In May of 2011, state Governor, Jack Markell signed Senate Bill 17 into law, allowing for qualified patients to possess up to six ounces of medical marijuana. The drug can be given to patients aged 18 or older who have a qualifying medical condition.
Under Delaware’s medical marijuana law, patients may be recommended marijuana for the following conditions:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Chronic pain (that has not responded to previously prescribed medication or surgical measures for more than three months)
- Intractable epilepsy*
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms (including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis)
If the qualifying patient is a minor under 18 years of age, the recommending doctor must be a pediatric neurologist, pediatric gastroenterologist, pediatric oncologist or pediatric palliative care specialist. Adolescent patients are only permitted to possess oils containing at least 15 percent CBD (and no more than 7 percent THC) and/or oils containing 15 percent THC acid (and no more than 7 percent THC).
How to Apply For a Medical Marijuana Card in Delaware
To apply for a Delaware Medical Marijuana Card, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a resident of Delaware
- You need to request a copy of your medical records that indicate that you have been diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition
- You need to get written recommendation from a state-licensed physician
- You must apply for and receive a medical marijuana card from the state of Delaware
To apply to join the Delaware Medical Marijuana Program, you can complete this online application form. Alternatively, you can print out the form and send it by mail to the address below. Once the application has been submitted and received, the Department will approve it within 45 days.
Delaware Division of Public Health
Medical Marijuana Program
417 Federal St., Suite 140
Dover, DE 19901
Senate Bill 17 requires that patients apply for medical marijuana cards from the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services.
Medical marijuana cards are valid for one year from the date of issue. You should apply for a renewal no less than 45 calendar days prior to the expiration date of the existing card in order to prevent interruption of possession of a valid medical marijuana card.f