History of Arizona’s Medical Marijuana Program
In 2010 Arizona, on it’s third vote on the subject, barley passed medical marijuana with Proposition 203. The program allows for qualifying patients to posses up to 2.5 ounces of medical marijuana.
Requirements For a Medical Marijuana Card in Arizona:
To apply for a medical marijuana card in Arizona you must meet this criteria:
- Must be a resident of Arizona.
- Obtain an authenticated, written certification from a doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathic medicine, naturopathic physician or homeopathic physician licensed in the state of Arizona that states that you have been diagnosed with a debilitating condition and that you would likely receive benefit from marijuana. Patients can find a medical marijuana doctor in Arizona here.
- Note: You may be required to bring a copy of your medical records to your marijuana evaluation appointment, indicating diagnosis of a qualifying condition as listed below. Learn how to request your medical records.
- Once you have received your marijuana recommendation, you must register with the Arizona Department of Health Services to obtain a Medical Marijuana card.
Under Arizona’s medical marijuana law, patients may be recommended marijuana for the following conditions:
- Cancer, glaucoma or positive status for the human immunodeficiency virus, Hepatitis C, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease), Crohn’s disease, agitation of Alzheimer’s disease or the treatment of these conditions, OR
- A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe and chronic pain; severe nausea; seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy; or severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis.
How to Apply For a Medical Marijuana Card in Arizona
Collect all documentation required during the application process and follow all application instructions for Adult Patients, Patients Under 18, or Caregivers. Before beginning the application process, be sure you have the following items in digital format ready for upload:
- electronic copy of photo id; and
- current digital photograph; and
- electronic copy of physician’s certification form; and
- electronic copy of your attestation; and
- Visa or Mastercard for payment; and
- if applicable, SNAP documentation.
Verify all data is correct before saving each page of the application. Once completed, submit the entire application at Arizona Department of Health Services without closing the browser. [PLEASE NOTE: You will not be able to save and resume your application later.]
Renewal Requirements For Medical Marijuana Patients in Arizona
Patients must renew annually. Submit a Renewal Application and have the following ready:
- You will need to obtain and submit a new, current physician certification.
- You will need to obtain and submit a new, current photograph.
- You will need to obtain and submit a new Patient Attestation Form signed and dated with the current date.
- You will need to obtain and submit current documentation of your SNAP eligibility. The document submitted must indicate your first and last name.
- You may need to submit a copy of your identification if your name has changed since your last application.